Some one asked me how retirement was going the other day.
Hmmm.....
Well, it is not that I don't have a low stress job or a job I really like. I love what I am doing, but it does require more than just painting and creating. There's a business to run here, folks. On top of that, since I am working at home (Read that? It said WORKING. No, not eating bon bons and sipping on lemonade... working.) I am responsible for my home. The whole house is my office. It needs to stay clean, picked up and ready for company at a moments notice. I have dishes, laundry, daily chores and meals to cook, plan and prepare. I don't mind doing any of this. My hours that I put into working for TPP are probably less that what my husband puts in at work, so it all turns out even in the end.
All that to say, just because someone is a "stay at home mom (or dad)," works from home or even works part time is not to say that he or she doesn't work. Or that he or she is not busy. Or that he or she lays in a tanning bed and eats gourmet cookies while watching Oprah in the afternoons. Some people do actually do that, but probably not most.
Just had to get that off of my chest. Thanks for listening!
6 comments:
Preaching to the choir here, Michelle the Christmas Belle! Even people who knew that I worked with (note the word "with" not "for") your Dad, never really thought my job was "real". It confuses, doesn't it? Just being a homemaker is a full time job. I was telling someone yesterday that you are so much more organized with your home than I ever was and that "you didn't learn that from me!" Anyway, you will have to defend your work-at-home forever. Some people will never get it. Truly, as long as you and Sam know what you do, it matters little about the rest of the world. I'm so glad you put this up because I dn't have a picture of it. You are so gifted . . . and you are MY child!!! Yay! :)
When I was writing my dissertation, my MIL would call me at home where I was doing the bulk of my work. "I just wanted to tell J ______" she would say. "You can call him on his cell phone," I would tell her. "Oh no," she'd reply, "I don't want to bother him at work."
Amen sister!! So well put!! People always act like I don't know what busy is b/c I don't work, I just watch my kids. I always tell them that I will trade places for a day and then come talk to me. :) +
Oh, by the way, I LOVE your artwork. It is very good.
Kendra you are doing the best, most important, most rewarding, most exhausting work of your life. And . . . you are doing a great job. You and Jeremy know how hard you work, as do the kids (or they will). The rest of us don't really matter. Some people will never recognize that, but it doesn't matter.
To all of the choir: AMEN!
I can't imagine doing what I am doing WITH children. The animals are crazy enough as it is.
After my art lesson yesterday, S's mom came to pick her up on their way to the Dr. When I was helping S into the car, I noticed a month old baby, a two year old and a four year old with a ruptured ulcer in her mouth. Mom had wet hair and I remembered her daughter, S, said to me earlier that day, "Did you know that Mommy has been in her robe ALLLLLL Day?!!!!" Poor Mom. I told S that Mommy must just be really, really tired. Goodness I know she must be beyond that!
All that to say, keep up the good, hard work, stay-at-home Moms and stay-at-home Moms trying to work another job in addition to Mommying!
Post a Comment