This is our family blog, set up so that you can be one step closer to our daily lives. We've got TWENTY feet (often more) going in and out of our house every day, out of which comes a lot of stories! Who are the other two feet, you ask? YOU! Our guest!

Monday, March 3, 2008

You Know It's Monday...

You know it's Monday when:

  1. You woke up with a sore throat and a runny nose


  2. It's your "cleaning day" for the house and everything is a mess.


  3. You started your period


  4. The weather forecast says to expect severe weather (tornadoes)


  5. Every nook and cranny of your home will be inspected by a stranger and there's nothing you can do about it (except clean).


  6. The Jehovah's Witnesses (they come EVERY Monday) repeatedly ring the doorbell, sending every four legged animal in the house into a frenzied rage.


  7. Every time you walk to the bathroom the phone rings.


  8. No matter what you do with the laundry load, the washer INSISTS on being unbalanced and making horrid banging noises.


  9. At some point today, you realize that you will be in a car with two large, boisterous dogs and two neurotic cats trying to stay out of the way of some stranger in your house.


  10. Your poor, sweet little dog has "cold tail" and can't even sit down. SO sad!


I am complaining. I am. I admit it, and most of these problems are "good" problems to have. The only really bad problem that I am worried about is Ella and her cold tail. We had the kiddie pool out yesterday for the dogs to play in since it was very warm and they have not yet shed out their winter coats. Ella has gotten cold tail before and she's always come out of it, but it is SO pitiful and can be permanent depending on the circumstances.



Well, what's this cold tail?



I would look it up on the Internet if you would like some very specific information on it. Auburn University has a good report/study they did on it, which is where I found most of my information. In short, cold tail occurs in dogs (many hunting dogs) that use their tails for balance or are frequently wagging them. The tail may become wet due to the hunting grounds, etc. or very cold (weather). If the dog is confined after such vigorous exercise and the tail is held in one position (or the dog is cramped in a small cage) for a long time, this "cold tail" occurs. The tail muscles swell (like after you exercise). The muscles/nerves are bound by the vertebrae around the tail cutting off 9or restricting) blood circulation to the tail. Don't take my word for all of this. Read the report yourself and see what you think. Very little is known about this condition, I guess, because it is not life-threatening, just sad and painful.



It is very painful for Ella, I can tell. She hesitates to sit and usually chooses to lay down instead. She can't hold her tail up or wag it. If she can't contain herself, the little tip of her tail will wag. It's SO sad. It just droops from her little dog hiney. When this happens, it makes me realize how much I take her expressive little tail for granted!



Anyway, it's Monday. AND my father informed me he's going to start a "Save the Shed" foundation, including fundraisers and t-shirts. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Monday is over and Tuesday was better. It was a crummy day!