This is our family blog, set up so that you can be one step closer to our daily lives. We've got TWENTY feet (often more) going in and out of our house every day, out of which comes a lot of stories! Who are the other two feet, you ask? YOU! Our guest!

Monday, March 24, 2008

Best by Request

Miz Bean (the non-Ella Bella Bean) spotted my mention of Cheesy Cauliflower Soup and asked for the recipe, so I thought I'd pass it along to everyone. It's pretty easy to make, as it is done in the crock pot, and healthy depending on your cheese choice.

I've adapted it from Leanne Ely of Saving Dinner (http://www.savingdinner.com/). She calls it Caroline's Cheesy Cauliflower Soup. Mine has more veggies in it. SO from my kitchen, to yours!
Here we go!

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 4-6 hours (depending on your slow cooker/crock pot - I do 5)
Preheat: crock pot - high setting
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans chicken (or veggie will do) broth
  • 16 oz frozen cauliflower
  • 3 to 4 stalks of celery (I cut mine into 1/2 inch or smaller pieces)
  • 3 to 4 carrots (same size)
  • 1/4 large onion (we're not big onion people - if you are, use a whole small onion) cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste

To add later:

  • 1 cup milk (I use skim)
  • 1 1/2 cups low fat cheddar cheese - shredded OR
  • 1 1/2 cups Monterey jack cheese (I'd go for cheddar, though)

Put all ingredients into crock pot (EXCEPT milk and cheese) and cook on low (I use high) until vegetables are very tender (4 to 6 hours).

Mash with potato masher to get desired lumpy consistency (or you can put in food processor to get it smooth, but them you have to clean it!).

Place cauliflower mixture into sauce pan. Stir in milk and shredded cheese (make sure it is not too hot!!!). Heat over medium to low heat until cheese is melted and mixture is hot. If you get too close to boiling the cheese and milk will curdle and sink to the bottom and be a chewy mess. That is the only challenge to this recipe.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so good to me. I'm going to try it immediately!!!! Thanks. The flowers look so nice on the table :)

The Bean said...

Thanks! I will get the necessary ingredients on Thursday during my weekly grocery run. Can't wait!