This is our family blog, set up so that you can be one step closer to our daily lives. We've got TWENTY feet (often more) going in and out of our house every day, out of which comes a lot of stories! Who are the other two feet, you ask? YOU! Our guest!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Signs of Life ...and Destruction

I really couldn't think of anything else to title this post. It just is what it is at this point.
When we were first working on our current home (the 1910 foursquare), this stage was the hardest. You are demolishing things and making progress, but it looks so terrible! It is very uninspiring from an artistic perspective!

However, it is Springtime, and things are coming to life at the farm. So, here's a look at the life:

There are hundreds of irises surrounding the deck areas. I have been waiting impatiently to see what colors they will all be and it looks like they will all be white. Not my favorite, so if you'd like to trade some colored ones for white ones, let me know! I love to have plants in my garden that started out in the gardens of my friends. I do have a few different colors at the current home, so I'll have to pull some up and start sticking them here and there in the garden.

The rose bushes are slowly coming back to life! I've found out that deer will go after roses, especially in late winter when there is very little to eat. It will sometimes kill them, so I've got my work cut out for keeping these alive in about 9 months.

These are a few members of a small cattle family next door (are people really next door in the countryside?). The calfs are precious! I know they are probably meat cattle, so I'm trying not to talk to them too much, but it is hard when they are your neighbors.

We went out to the farm for the evening on Monday to do some work demolishing the rest of the rough, wooden panels. I knew we would be out there for a while so I packed a dinner for us both and we had a nice meal on the back deck as shown by Sam!

Here's the destruction part:

The rough hewn paneling is GONE! Well, it is off of the walls. The drywall folks are scheduled to come out and measure and start work ASAP! :o)
The panels did not come off easily, but I am really glad they are gone. It is "nice" wood, but the style of it really bothered me and they could not be painted because of the way they were made. It probably sounds shallow that I can't stand to have them in my house, but I need to have my surroundings be somewhat pleasing to the eye. The panels also collected dust and hair (and so on) and allowed insects to pass through as they pleased. But let's move on - they are GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!


I am really looking forward to seeing what things will look like with the new walls, clean coat of paint and pretty floors!

2 comments:

Summer said...

I bet it will be beautiful!! Can't wait to come visit someday. Glad all is going well :) Love, S & Herd

Kris said...

It's good that your past experience keeps you from throwing up your hands or getting discouraged. You know that you can turn this place into a beautiful home, as you have done in the past. It requires a lot of hard labor for you and Sam, but, sometimes, I think you appreciate the end product more. Who went up to get the high place? I'm not sure I would have been able to do that. High 5 for both of you!!! Thanks for always taking the time to post.