This is our family blog, set up so that you can be one step closer to our daily lives. We've got TWENTY feet (often more) going in and out of our house every day, out of which comes a lot of stories! Who are the other two feet, you ask? YOU! Our guest!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Horses at the House!

Who wouldn't want horses at their house!?
Ok - I can think of a few times where one might not want a horse at their house, but we are So looking forward to living with ours!
Saturday, we decided, would be a great day to do a trial run with the horses at the farm to see if their were any problem fences or if Shine would even load onto the trailer, since she's only done it once willingly!
I am happy to say my sweet Shine loaded right onto the trailer without hesitation. Sam was her handler since I was so nervous about it all, and she did great! I should have taken a picture - I was so proud I felt like my heart would burst! What a great little horse she is growing up to be (if you've never trailer trained a young horse, you probably don't realize what a big deal this is!)!
The horses loaded and unloaded with no problem and Sam did great driving the truck and trailer on those bumpy, narrow, winding country roads. Once we arrived, they immediately started going for the green, green grass! The horse and pony next door called out a greeting, but ours were too busy eating. We decided to let them "hang out" in the pasture before our ride to let them get adjusted. Here you can see them in the righthand corner of the picture under the trees:

We later had a great ride exploring the front and back pastures. I think Shine had the most fun. She enjoyed getting to tag along with us again, like she did when she was a foal. She ate and ran and bucked and rolled and generally had a great time! She even ran into a tree when she was galloping downhill too fast. She'll have to work on those breaks!
After our ride, we let them relax again in the pasture. They divided their time between staring at the cows and bulls behind our property (Kahlo was such a watch dog!), grazing under the trees, teasing the horse next door and running up to the donkey to make him bray. Reagan really likes the horse next door. She seems to be wanting a friend. Shine and Kahlo are big buddies (Shine makes all the effort). Shine does whatever Kahlo does, so Reagan feels alone sometimes I think. We do need to find another horse to board with us so she can have a buddy!
While the horses were relaxing, we did a little work inside ( I say a little, because we were tired already!). It was neat to be in the house and look out of the windows and see the horses grazing or running.

Later, Sam's brother and sister-in-law came by to see the house. It sure was a wreck, but I am anxious to see how it will turn out in the end. If they hadn't been dressed so nice, we would have put them to work! :o)
I wish I had gotten more pictures of our fun time, but you will just have to come and see for yourself!

2 comments:

Kris said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful day for you. I'm so glad the horses behaved well for this first outing. It reinforces this very big life change for you. I so wish I were closer so that I could be of more help to you. But, it won't all get done at once. I'm sure you will leave something for me to do! Thanks for the pictures!

Summer said...

Yay for Shine!! that is a big deal! Especially after what happened the first time she loaded haha the poor baby! Glad everything is working out :)