
...which is more than a house. It's a home. I've written about my kitchen (the current one with appliances and cabinets) before. I don't have to tell you about my journey here and the things that have happened to me and that I have come to realize while living in my home.
You see, I've been struck with a bit of a low blow that wounded my pride and my opinion of my lovely home. We've had a few showings as of late. One lady has come to visit four or more times to see the house (the dogs and I high-tail it out of here when we know they are coming). She was also looking at a home in one of the "more desirable" neighborhoods. We were hopeful for an offer, but not too hopeful. The other home had much more to give and was shinier, brighter, cleaner, we felt, and I just flat-out wasn't ready to face the rejection.
We got an offer today. It is great. Yes, great! with an exclaimation point, too. I agree with you on that. However, this offer that was made, if we were to accept, would cause us to not even break even in terms of what we have put in to the house and paid on the mortgage. In fact, it would be about 5,000.00 less that breaking even and almost 15,000.00 off of asking price.
So, don't accept. Well, of course we won't. But I can't say it didn't sting a little on hearing it.

As I write, the backdoor is open. The breeze is floating in and out, carrying the heavenly scent of the blossoming Japanese magnolia tree. The cats and dog (the other lost her "going outside" priveledge today) are coming and going as they please. I can hear the sound of the downtown workers driving their cars home for the evening. Lawnmowers are at work and a flock of robins have settled in the area.
I think of playing with the dogs in the backyard, strolling barefoot in the green grass while tending to my garden, the sunsets and the changes of the seasons.
Talking with the neighbors next door about cats, dogs, children and life in general. Deep thoughts and funny stories were all exchanged while standing on our back stoops or leaning over the fence, fighting off the mosquitos.
All that to say..... This is my home. I invite you to come in, but please, don't insult me by insulting it.
Perhaps this is all getting too personal to me... but if you only knew about my life and how it has grown since I've been here, home.
So, as for me and my house, we're gonna reject the offer (oh, and serve the Lord - I meant to say that first...)!!!
2 comments:
It makes me think of Johnny Fedora & Alice Bluebonnet. (Do you remember that?) Lots of emotion goes into a home. You did a lot of growing in this one. It's been a great little house. You spruced it up & gave it a great facelift. Hopefully the next owner will love it as you have.
The market is a dreadful place now, but even in the boom market of four years ago, we faced that selling a house we had lovingly fixed up.
Post a Comment