This is our family blog, set up so that you can be one step closer to our daily lives. We've got TWENTY feet (often more) going in and out of our house every day, out of which comes a lot of stories! Who are the other two feet, you ask? YOU! Our guest!

Thursday, September 6, 2007

What We Did on Labor Day

Sam, Ella and I travelled down to Florida to visit my parents (and meet my Dad's new child) for Labor Day weekend. We had a good time visiting and the new boat was very nice. Ella liked it because she could get on and off very easily and run this way and that inside.
Ella and Our Boat-Warming Present

We went to dinner the first night at the marina restaurant, and Ella was invited! We ate outside, however, which was fine except for the bugs. I don't think they ate anyone else for dinner but me! I counted, and I have 22 mosquito bites on my feet. Oh, the irony!!! I'm not kidding about the numbers and location! Anyway, the owner of the restaurant (who was eating with us) ordered Ella a hamburger steak! She LOVED that! He also hand fed her ice cream from a cup. Needless to say, Ella had a great time. She was well behaved as always.

Sam at the Helm of the New Boat

We also took the boat out for a run so that my parents could get used to it and Ella could try out her new life jacket. She did not want to jump into the water at all. I got in, and then she finally took the plunge after I called to her and swam away. It was a bit manipulative on my part, but I thought she would enjoy it once she got in. Wrong. She didn't realize that the life jacket would support her, which I understand. There's no way you can explain that to a dog. She also couldn't get in and out by herself, which I think was the biggest concern of hers. She was cute, though!

I LOVE My New Life Jacket, Mom!

No, I really don't think I want to go in...


Once we got back to the marina, I took her down to a little sand bar right off the dock, and tossed a squeaky toy to her for a while. This was probably her favorite part of the whole trip, other than the steaks, table scraps and ice cream. She loves the water, but ONLY if she can choose to get in and out very easily at her own pleasure.

Take THAT ya Little Life Preserver!!!

Yeah, it is a little nuts that I have a dog that I bring to restaurants and buy a life jacket for, but I don't have kids of my own, just a really great dog.

Thanks to my parents and the owners of the Oyster Bar Marina for a great weekend. Ella wants to know if she can spend her summers there from now on!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to have you there. We hope you come back soon!

Kenny & Kate said...

Ella's bandana is so cute! and I think the life jacket was a smart idea - I wish I had one like that for Emma, especially we we go out at sunset, all that reflective tape would be wonderful if she decided to jump ship.

Anonymous said...

The Noseeums really got me the past weekend. I guess you weren't there to feast on. Face, hair, feet, hands, they were everywhere. I never thought i would be glad to see my friends light up a cigarette . . . the smoke kept a lot of them away.