This is our family blog, set up so that you can be one step closer to our daily lives. We've got TWENTY feet (often more) going in and out of our house every day, out of which comes a lot of stories! Who are the other two feet, you ask? YOU! Our guest!

Sunday, September 2, 2007

It Drives Me Crazy!

Sam and I took a little road trip to Florida this weekend, and it got me thinking about all of the strange activities we do while driving, some of the things I have done that I shouldn't have and some of the strange things I have witnessed. Not all of them are unbelievable.
Some of the multitasking that I shouldn't have done while behind the wheel include, but are not limited to: eating chicken sandwiches, searching for something in a bag lost somewhere in the backseat and talking on my cell phone (which I now make a point of NOT doing).

There are also the unfortunate everyday activities people participate in doing while driving that annoy and frighten me: Applying lipstick, acting like the car is a mosh pit while making a dangerously sharp curve in the rain, turning around to face the children in the back seat and talk to them about something in length, letting precious little "Fluffy" try her paws at the wheel since the driver cannot see around the dog's puffy head, someone making the car swerve, stop suddenly, etc. to impress a female passenger, making out with the passenger while driving and so on and so on.
However common all of this may be, I have some new (odd) no-nos that drivers commit while operating a moving vehicle:
  1. Finding directions on a Blackberry when lost (I'm sorry, dear, but the irony was just too much!)
  2. Having a conversation on the phone via text message (do you really need to do this as you drive? Really?)
  3. Untangling about 25 feet of telephone wire, then winding it around your right hand (I am still wondering about this one...could it not wait?)
  4. Reading the newspaper on the interstate (this guy almost ran me off the road and never once looked up from his paper!)
  5. Plucking eyebrow hairs (this one floored me...I mean, not only are we putting ourselves in great danger, but the end result could NOT have been good!)
I'm sure these are not the only oddities on the road today. What have you seen (let's keep it PG-13, please) lately?

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Who took the picture of you and Sam?

I'm terrible about multitasking when I drive. I have done most of the things you mentioned in my car at one point or another. And I have seriously nearly run off the road because I was trying to turn around and attend to Asher while driving down the interstate. Bad idea.

Nick M. said...

A certain "tall", now retired, senior minister of a large Cloverdale Methodist Church (if that isn't enough clues for you I don't know what to do) used to drive and watch his portable TV anytime ANY sports event was on.

M'elle said...

Stephanie:
Ella was going to take the picture, but Hershey kept wailing in the backseat, "...but I WANNA push the button!!! I WANNA! Ella got to do it last time!!! NO FAIR!" So we had my mom take it. As for kids in the backseat, I am sure I will be doing exactly what you did at some point. Think: Sam and I going to Louisiana for Christmas with two cats and two dogs, luggage and presents all in a car for four hours... Hershey kept breathing on me, too.
Nick:
You are the King of Subtle Clues - would it happen to be the same minister that, when he preached, you could count 1-2-3-4-5 for the pause in between each phrase he spoke? Hmmmmm....

Anonymous said...

I have seen people changing clothes . . . not to mention waving at people with big white cartoon hands . . . ahem!

Kenny & Kate said...

hmmm, PG-13 but gross: driving to work with severe morning sickness, no time to pull over so I just drove with a bag over the wheel. How I wish I could have quit that job sooner!

Hope you all enjoyed Florida, next time you are down near Sarasota please look us up!