This is our family blog, set up so that you can be one step closer to our daily lives. We've got TWENTY feet (often more) going in and out of our house every day, out of which comes a lot of stories! Who are the other two feet, you ask? YOU! Our guest!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Breakthrough......

I think I may finally have a grasp on what Hershey's world is like... or at least a small understanding of how her morning starts:
Day after day, with unwavering enthusiasm it begins. Before our alarm goes off she is already crying out in her shrill whine for her parents to get up. The wait of what the morning holds is almost unbearable! She wiggles and thrashes about in every direction as I approach her kennel to feed her. It takes only one breath for her to eat a cup and a half. I then open the door to take the bowl out... "Wait, stay......OK, heel." She scrabbles uncontrollably as we make our way to the back door....... "SIT." She vibrates with excitement. "OK! Go Potty!" She tears through the kitchen, out of the back door, down the steps, dodging the large, white, cranky cat, cutting a trench through the dirt, ripping up each and every blade of grass in her way until she reaches the potty spot. Birds and squirrels scatter. With the same unbridled elation, she tears back up the stairs and into the house, her whole body moving, shaking and looking not unlike a tae-bo instructor who has had way too much coffee.
She is a typical, three-year-old chocolate lab.
You see, I have come to realize EVERY morning is like Christmas morning for Hershey.
Christmas! My Favorite!!!

Leaves! My Favorite!!!
Chiquita Banana Stickers! My Favorite!!!

Pool Time! My Favorite!!!
Bmmvvffph! Mphf Ffphavvifph!!!
Mom! My....ummmm... Where's Dad?!

6 comments:

Sam said...

That's my Hershey. She is a great reminder of life's little joy's. When i first got Hershey my friend John said "an idea in the brain of a Lab is like a BB in a tuna can."

He was right.

Hershey's Dad

Anonymous said...

that is too funny!! my roommate had a chocolate lab (ironically who's orginal name was Hershey - we re-named her Abbey) who was JUST like that! like a windup toy that never wound down!!!

The Bean said...

I read your comment on Steph's blog and remembered how much I love the art you did for me to give David as a Christmas present one year. Thanks for letting me have a piece of your talent in my home!

Anonymous said...

I guess you could think of it as yourself - - - waking up each morning with a feeling of excitement at the new day! Yay! New Day! You go through your day greeting everyone with a Happy Sappy Smile! You have a Greeting Dance too! Life is Good! Life is GGGGGGGGGGGreat! Some of us will respond by wondering what possessed you to act this way early in the morning. Some will look away not quite knowing how to react. But some of us, after you pass will have to respond with their own Happy Sappy smile . . . and . . . if they are really brave, their own little dance. So, it would be so much better if we all could wake up every morning expecting a Christmas type day. It's worth thinking about. If we can keep that darn BB still long enough . . . . Heyyyyyyyyyy Hershey!!!

Nick M. said...

Hershey is beautiful. I hope to have one like her someday. If there is ever the possibility of puppies please let me know.

M'elle said...

Sam and Mama:
She is joyful, and I am trying to learn to focus on that quality above the tornado-like qualities. YOu guys are right.
Elizabeth:
How did you cope? Did you give her Benadryl everyday? Any pointeds are always welcome!
EBean:
Thank you for your encouragement! I always wondered if you really liked it or if you were just being sweet! It is good to finally know!
Nick: I thought you had a lab, Bailey?
Anyway, I would give her to you if I could (she is spayed, by the way)!!!! She drives me NUTS! However, we are her 3rd home, and this is the last stop for throwaway animals. My husband also loves her. All four of my animals are devoted to me alone, so its only right that Sam can have just one.. even if she brings me to my knees on a daily basis!