So, Sam and I are now desiring to expand our family. I know there are lots and lots of parenting and baby books out there filled with information, but I am just not going to go that route. You see, I don't have time to read ALL of them, follow up on their sources for research, compare their statistics and conduct my own trial and error session with my own children to see if it works. From what I understand, the best parenting advice does not come from the books, but from real parents. All that being said, if you could give the world just ONE piece of advice (JUST ONE) about parenting, what would it be?
If you do not have children, but have heard someone who is a parent speak of some "great" advice, please comment as well!
Yes you can only leave ONE comment. If you leave more than one, your computer will blow up... don't try it!
I am excited to see what you have to say! Ready, set.....GO!
Little Sammy and Little M'elly :
9 comments:
Cry for help when you need it!!! Don't be too proud to accept it so you can rest. However, take all advice under consideration. All families work in different ways. Do what is best for yours.
(They will be blondies with huuuuuuuuge dimples!!!)
Hope that when they come out they are old enough to go straight to work and are already potty trained. Skip out on the diapers and no sleeping thing. ;-)
Trust yourself.
Get lots of sleep while you can because once you have a baby there will be NO MORE sleep!
(This is not additional wisdom, this is adding onto what Tara A. just said) ... there will be sleep, it will just be a long time before you sleep again. And the not sleeping thing starts when you're about five months pregnant.
1.Be prepared to never be alone again. You will always have someone with you in the bathroom, in the bedroom, on the couch, and any where else you can think of.
2. Remember there is always something to learn. Even with 2 children and one on the way, I definitly do not know everything about parenting.
Remember that someone will always criticize you, no matter what you do. You will breastfeed too long or not long enough. You will be too firm or too lax. Just do what works for you and ignore the rest.
But, if you want practical advice, I advise keeping kids on a schedule. It makes them very happy.
Mama:
Yes, I will cry for help, but you are 4 hours away and MeMe is 1 hour away with 4 other grandchildren locally. Who will come? Might I suggest you live in town? ;o)
Nick:
I am all for no diapers and 8 hours of sleep every night. Tell me how I can do this - I am all ears!
Tara:
How you balance all that you do and manage to work full time, have a clean house, socialize and have the cutest little boy amazes me - and all of this on NO SLEEP! How'd you do it?!
Stephanie:
I would love to trust myself, but I seem rather untrustworthy. Does it come naturally? Thanks for letting me know when the no sleeping starts. I have been tyring to build up extra sleep points when able.
K & J:
I am never alone as it is! If I accidentally close the bathroom door (heaven forbid!) the noses start sniffing under it and little paws reach under and out for someone to grab. If I leave it open it becomes as crowded as a Starbucks at 8am!
Emily:
A trickle of the same type of "advice" or criticisims came aboput when I was getting married. EVERYONE knows how to plan a wedding perfectly. I guess everyone knows how to raise kids too. It's funny to me that all weddings have issues and so many kids have to have therapy and be on meds later in life. As for schedules, I love them! If only I could manage to keep myself on one!
I've been told that children thrive on routines. Thanks for affirming!
Thank you to everyone for the advice - now all I need are your prayers so that I may have one (or four) of my own and also prayers for survival!
I've been thinking about this for a long time because it was v. hard to say little when I'd like to say much. And it sort of goes along with what others have said, because they have given good advice. Mine is to Passionately follow those Mommy instincts (no matter what)!
I pray that God blesses you and your family on this journey!
Post a Comment