This is our family blog, set up so that you can be one step closer to our daily lives. We've got TWENTY feet (often more) going in and out of our house every day, out of which comes a lot of stories! Who are the other two feet, you ask? YOU! Our guest!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Uncovering The Truth About Reagan

I know it has been mentioned here before, and if you know me at all you know that we bought a horse for my husband. Horses are largely considered property. They are sold, traded, leased, etc. Just like a house has a history of buyers, important owners and a plat book, horses have a little history that follows them as well. I mean, if you've read Black Beauty you know what I am talking about. Now, if your horse is a purebred, his or her history is much more easily traced. Kahlo, my horse, has more of a verbal history with interests than her paper history. And Sam's horse, Reagan... well... hers is a very colorful one - and I'm not saying that because she is a Paint. I won't bore you with the details of buying her - only horse people really care to know all of that. But if you have every been close to an animal or a child that is not your own you know what I mean when I tell you that I see something in her eyes. Not a good or really even a bad something... Everything is not OK. Somewhere along the way, something has hurt her heart and I'm determined to get to the bottom of it. The trouble with animals is that they can't tell you with words.

I love Reagan. I love her different than Kahlo. I worry about her different than I do Kahlo. Kahlo was hurt in her past, but it was in a completely different way. It was fear. Though her look was mostly consumed with fear and looking a little lost there was still fire there. She was still willing to fight. And fight she did! But that fearful, lost look is gone now. Reagan looks as though she's tired of caring and she's given up. She just wants to be left alone. Her eyes are dull. She looks down. i still see a bit of a spark there, but I honestly feel as though she has decided not to love anything again or to be attached to anything again. That's the best way to describe it.
Due to this burning worry I have for Reagan that i just can't shake, I've talked to anyone horsey who will listen about her behavior. I've bought books. I've spent time with her. I've poured over anything on the Internet that I can find about her, and, believe it or not, there's quite a bit. She's had anywhere from 6 to 10 owners in her 13 years of life and lived in at least 6 different states in the northeast to the deep south. She was auctioned off on April 15 of 2000 starting at 5,100.00 (We DID NOT pay that much for her by any stretch!).
While living in Virginia, she and her foal were stolen for 3 days, then returned. She's had AT LEAST two foals. One, a 2002 mare (registered)named Buckeye Two Two. The other, born in approximately April of 2003 was a filly I do not know the name of. I found pictures of her this evening. It really touched me to be able to know just this little bit more about her. Here she is:

Look at that face! How I wish I could know her more!

When the two of them were stolen, they listed Reagan's personality trails on the flier as follows:

Very Friendly. Loves people. Very protective mother.

That is what affirmed to me more than anything that something happened to Reagan either gradually or sudden that hurt her. She runs away from us and other people when she sees us coming. When we saddle her up her ears go flat against her head and she tries to bite. I would have thought of it as a possible pain or previous injury, but once you get on, she's totally content. Loves people? Who broke that trust? What happened along the way?

I realize that many of you are thinking to yourself that i need to get a life - she's just a horse! But God has given me a huge heart for animals. I can't shake this concern I have for her. Maybe this love of animals will fade if I have children of my own. Thus far it has only gotten stronger.

I want to know more about our Rea Rea simply because I want to help her and have her know she can trust us again, and mostly that she's come to the last stop. She doesn't have to worry anymore.

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies ? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. ~Luke 12:6

Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young— a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God. ~Psalm 84:3

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know about everything else, but it made me cry. I read Black Beauty only once because it hurt so much to read it. Just like Dances With Wolves when they killed the wolf . . .ah . . . I never would watch that again. I have been you Rea Rea and I have seen what you see in her eyes. it really shows up in pictures. You hope she wasn't hurt as badly as Ginger in Black Beauty. It took a good while for you to bring Kahlo around. With both you and ST loving this one, she will come around. I'm glad you worry about the animals. They bring a lot back to you.

Anonymous said...

I was touched too. :O( i really hope you can help her. actually, i know you can. love you

M'elle said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies. We visited with her yesterday and she did really well - but still got a little nippy when girthing her up. I think she'll be doing better and better as each month goes on.
Kristin - come ride her! She needs exercise!

Kenny & Kate said...

aww...she is so blessed to have finally found a family like yours!

Not knowing Reagan personally, so take this as you will knowing her better...reading this actually makes me think of "Misty's Twilight" and wonder if she would benefit from gentle but purposeful work.