This is our family blog, set up so that you can be one step closer to our daily lives. We've got TWENTY feet (often more) going in and out of our house every day, out of which comes a lot of stories! Who are the other two feet, you ask? YOU! Our guest!

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sunday Sermon

Well, sort of a sermon... It's not that I am a preacher or even a great thinker, but I often have to refresh my mind so that I can keep going from time to time. When you have two old houses, one of which was build about 98 years ago and has been neglected for a few years, it is easy to become downtrodden and want to give it all up and move to an overpriced new house (that will probably fall apart in a few years b/c it wasn't built by my dad) in the "better" part of town that has no sidewalks and very poor soil.

But, Sam and I do our best to remember why we are here in this part of town and why everything worked out so that we eventually bought the Foursquare and not the 3 other homes we tried for. There is a reason and a purpose for this house. When I stop to ponder these things, these events which have led me to this point in my life... when I stop to remember WHY I do anything and to what purpose it is for I am humbled and all of my selfish desires seem to blow away like petals in the wind.

It's not just the houses that cause me to become weighed down, nor are they the biggest concern in my life, but this is about 50 % a house blog, so that's why I mention it.

Sam and I have these song lyrics framed and hung in the Foursquare by the front door. The song is an upbeat one from the 80's I think (remember ELO?). It is used on some car commercial now. Sam and I usually get up and dance around (or make the dogs dance against their will) when it comes on. I looked up the words one day and realized they were quite relevant to several situation we find ourselves in in life, especially old house people, because we ALL know we are in it for the long haul and there will never be a day when the house will not need a repair or restoration of some kind. We will never get to it all and when we do have it done (or do it ourselves) it will not ever be done perfectly. Nonetheless, we hold o tight to our dreams relating to this house, our lives here on earth and what is to come. Without further delay, here it is:



Hold On Tight

Hold on tight to your dream

Hold on tight to your dream

When you see your ship go sailing

When you feel your heart is breaking

Hold on tight... to your dream


It's a long time to be gone

Time just rolls on and on

When you need a shoulder to cry on

When you get so sick of trying

Hold on tight to your dream

When you get so down that you can't get up

And you want so much but you're all out of luck

When you're so downhearted and misunderstood

Just over and over and over you could


Accroches-toi a ton reve

Accroches-toi a ton reve

Quand tu vois ton bateau partir

Quand tu sents ton coeur se briser

Accroches-toi a ton reve.


When you get so down that you can't get up

And you want so much but you're all out of luck

When you're so downhearted and misunderstood

Just over and over and over you could

Hold on tight to your dream

Hold on tight to your dream


When you see the shadows falling

When you hear that cold wind calling

Hold on tight to your dream

Hold on tight to your dream

Yeah...hold on tight...

To your dream


~ J. Lynne



Temper it with this:


Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

~ Proverbs 3:5-6

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you can keep the important things important. :) Also, the imagine of you dancing with one of the dogs seemed very natural. hehe

That's also a really cute picture of you two!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a very clear mental picture of The Dance. :) I may have had a few with the dogs at some point myself. They are so enthusiastic. It's good to remind yourselves with good lyrics of what is important to you both. That picture has to be Christmas?