Ok..... so how do I do that?
It is a loaded question, I know. I can't do it all at once. I can't do any of it. I will have to pray for and rely on the Spirit of God. Small steps. But at least I see it now.
Before I get to rambling, let me first say to you, Dear Guest, that this blog is going to take a turn in a different direction. Actually, it isn't really, but it may seem that way. I wanted to keep this blog as a place simply to post pictures and events that are going on in our life and the lives of those around us. It is still going to do that, but our lives (I hope) are going in a different direction. I will still put family pictures and events on here, but I am going to write more as well. Here goes my rambling:
I want to live intentionally. I want to do what I was made to do. I am tired of running to "keep up with the Joneses." I am tired of clutter and living just to pay bills and step up the financial ladder. There is so much more to this life and to this world than me. I've been living in fear, which is living for me. Yes, the bills must be paid and I must be responsible, but LOOK at this:

It doesn't matter if I am a size 6. It doesn't matter if I have that dress from Ann Taylor. I'm done with, "Oh, what a lovely sweater! You look so nice today!" or "How are you? Fine? Great! Me too - have a lovely afternoon!" It is not that I don't think one should be polite. I do. I'm trying to tell you what is so hard to explain what I feel in my heart. It is not anger or apathy. It is truth and love. I want to live intentionally and honestly and lovingly. I look around me and see people who look like this picture above on the inside. They are in my world and my country and my state and my neighborhood and on my street! They are in the "truly magnificent gated communities" and in the housing projects a few blocks away. The exterior, the possessions cannot hide it - some use wealth to try - some use anger.
I recently singed up to participate in a fast to raise awareness:
http://www.thesecretlifeofkat.com/ It has spurred on some of these thoughts that have been building up inside.
My Mom once said to me, before I left for college, "I know you will do great and wonderful things." I thought that meant something like making straight A's, having a Doctorate degree and raising a beautiful family in a large house in the best neighborhood while becoming a leading psychologist with several breakthrough techniques on counseling children as a size 6 with long blond hair perfectly fixed and dressed in the latest styles. I thought I had failed miserably. I am NOT a size 6. I never went to grad school. Most of my clothes are four years or more old. My house is cheap and has one bathroom. My cat has peed on both the front and back door more times than I can count (I did finally make him an outside cat though - after 2 years of trying to get him to stop). My dog licks my hands and I often forget to wash them. I work in a cubicle and type in data and run errands for my boss. I do stupid things daily. I am married to a wonderful man, but I have no children and I am close to 30. The only breakthrough techniques I have discovered are that quality feather dusters really do pick up dust in the house quite well and animals shed year 'round in the South so get used to it. I am me. Honestly. From now on. I am not going to run from it anymore or try to be like the world. I am going to fail at this, you know. But I AM going to keep trying and fighting.
This world does not determine my worth. Someone already did. A price was paid for me and for everyone else. The same price. No one deserved it anymore than anyone else.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting live." - John 3:16
I don't know if you understand what i am trying to say or if I am making sense. Please write/post your thoughts.
My priorities are to live for and glorify God, be a helpmate to my husband, love my family and friends, care for my household and use my God-given talents.
This is me:

Here I go.
6 comments:
Amen. God gave me a great helper in you. Thank you for being so wonderful. I am looking forward to the next chapter in our journey.
Sam
Just found your blog - and love it. Thank you for your honesty. Can't wait to travel the 40 day fast-blog road with you!
Jeanine
Yay Michelle!
I completly understand the difficulty in expressing how this harsh subject makes you feel. It is hard to focus on this without making everything else around us seem meaningless, which isn't supposed to be the purpose. How do we balance a life lived in service to those close by as well as those we don't know? Glad you are joining in on this 40 day (lifetime) journey! :)
You are doing and continue to do great and wonderful things. You have always been the most wonderful, curious and sensitive person. I see what you write and it humbles me. That I had a part in the person you are makes me proud, but you did this yourself. You have always had the strength to try new things and face great changes. You realized early so many things that some of us never do. I look forward to your next adventure.
That sounds awesome - I'm so glad that you are writing about it all so that we can go along too!
I remember having a very similar talk with myself some time ago, spending a lot of time in prayer and talking to my husband wondering what would come of it...
we found out we were pregnant a few weeks later.
<3
Post a Comment